IUCN workshop in Botswana: Focus on Biodiversity
IUCN, the CBD and Mercuria Energy Group join forces to strengthen capacity and support economic approaches to biodiversity conservation and sustainable use in developing countries. Report of a regional workshop in Botswana.
A key condition for mainstreaming biodiversity in development is increased awareness and capacity in the use of economic tools, notably valuation of biodiversity benefits and use of economic incentives to encourage conservation and sustainable use of biological resources. In decision X/2, the Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) adopted the new Strategic Plan for Biodiversity and urged Parties and other Governments to develop national and regional targets, and to review and update their national biodiversity strategies and action plans (NBSAPs) in light of the new Strategic Plan. This process will promote the integration of biodiversity targets into national development and poverty reduction policies and strategies, national accounting, economic sectors and spatial planning processes.
The CBD has repeatedly emphasized the need for capacity-building and effective sharing of knowledge to support all countries, especially developing countries, to implement the Convention.
In response, the CBD Secretariat is organizing a series of regional or sub-regional workshops on updating NBSAPs during 2011 and 2012. The first such regional workshop, for Southern Africa, was held in Kasane, Botswana from 14 to 20 March 2011. The workshop was organised in collaboration with the Ministry of Environment, Wildlife and Tourism of Botswana and with the generous financial support from the Government of Japan, the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), the European Community, and Mercuria Energy Group.
The IUCN-Mercuria partnership, launched in September 2010, helped create strong economics influence at the Southern Africa workshop, by facilitating the active participation of IUCN’s Economics team and by providing support to the more than 70 delegates from 14 countries in attendance. Dr. Joshua Bishop, IUCN Chief Economist, and Dr. Andrew Seidl, Head, IUCN Global Economics and Environment Programme, together with Dr. Markus Lehmann, the Economist of the CBD Secretariat, led two days of interactive sessions focusing on the economics of ecosystems and biodiversity (TEEB) as related to Targets 2, 3 and 20 of the Strategic Plan. The sessions addressed valuation, removing or reforming harmful incentives, promoting positive incentives, and resource mobilization for the effective implementation of the Strategic Plan. Workshop evaluation forms filled out by participants revealed that these sessions were among the most highly valued of the week long training.
IUCN-Mercuria and the CBD Secretariat will next team up for the South, Southeast, and East Asia Workshop on Updating the NBSAPs, scheduled for 9-16 May 2011 in Xi’an, China.
- Mercuria joins C4IR Ocean to increase fleet emission data transparency28.05.2021
- Minerva Bunkering Joins Forces with Leading Organizations to Help Resolve Unprecedented Crew Change Crisis Caused by Covid-1926.01.2021
- Minerva Bunkering Partners with Emsengeni Primary School to Bring Educational Resources to Port Elizabeth04.12.2020
- Pin Oak Donates Computers to Local Students in Need Partnering With Comp-U-Dopt10.09.2020
- Mercuria Recognized by Swiss Embassy for its Apprenticeship Program for Veterans15.11.2019
- Mercuria Donates Funds and Supplies for Local Houston Back to School Drive29.08.2019
- Mercuria Energy Participates in Houston Veterans Job Fair08.08.2019
- Mercuria Joins U.S. Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross and Advisor to the President Ivanka Trump in Workforce Development Pledge13.06.2019
- Mercuria Named New Silk Road CEO of the Year for Energy Trading 25.09.2018
- Mercuria Brings American Apprentices into Full-Time Positions04.06.2018
- Mercuria and Employees Support Efforts of Grassroots Soccer23.05.2018
- Mercuria Employees Support Local Students17.05.2018
- Mercuria and Employees Support Efforts of buildOn12.12.2017
- Mercuria on the Swiss Responsible Business Initiative counter-proposal23.11.2017
- Graduates from Mercuria's Apprenticeship Program Join President Trump to Announce Workforce Development Initiative16.06.2017
- Mercuria Brings First American Apprentices into Full-Time Positions01.06.2017
- Mercuria Energy Marks 10 Years of Sponsoring Beijing International Music Festival 04.11.2016
- Mercuria Signs Agreement with U.S. Department of Labor to Formalize American Apprenticeship Program20.06.2016
- Governor Abbott Announces Texas Apprenticeship Program01.02.2016
- Mercuria Energy Celebrates 2015 Beijing International Music Festival19.10.2015
- Mercuria to Bring Swiss-Style Apprenticeships to the United States28.07.2015
- Mercuria Wins Commodity Deal of the Year 2014 for JP Morgan Physical Commodities Acquisition09.12.2014
- Mercuria brings its support to fight Ebola in Senegal28.10.2014
- Mercuria Marks 8th Year Sponsoring Beijing International Music Festival10.10.2014
- Executives meet with Chinese Premier Li Keqiang23.09.2014
- IUCN workshop in Botswana: Focus on Biodiversity01.03.2012
- "Legacy of China" on China Central TV Channel 408.02.2012
- Dams and Grosjean Finish The Season On a High Note With a Tenth Podium!12.09.2011
- Roman Grosjean Champion with Dams!27.08.2011
- Dams and Romain Grosjean Start the Holiday Break on a High Note!02.08.2011
- Romain Grosjean and Dams Make The Break!25.07.2011
- Romain Grosjean and Dams Dominate!20.07.2011
- GP2 Main Series 2011 - Valencia, Race 227.06.2011
- Fantastic Fight Back by Romain Grosjean and Dams28.05.2011
- Dams and Grosjean finish the season on a high note with a tenth podium!20.03.2011
- Gala Dinner in Beijing Celebrating the 60th Anniversary of Diplomatic Relations Between China and Switzerland14.08.2010